1. Create a Budget:
- Look closely at your finances to determine the most you can spend on gifts this holiday season.
- Write down all the people you want to buy gifts for.
- Next to those names, jot down a maximum dollar amount you can spend for that person’s gift.
- If you’re like most people you’ll need some help remembering those amounts – carry that list to each shopping trip.
2. Do your Research:
- Now that you know how much you want to spend on each gift, jump on the Internet.
- Start researching great gift ideas.
- Find out how much they cost at big-name retail stores.
- Then look for deals on competitors Websites. You might even try eBay.
- The bottom-line: by researching gifts and the various price points, you will likely see some savings.
3. Use Cash:
- Studies have shown that consumers using cash pay more attention to what they are spending and decrease their chance of overspending.
- It may not be the most convenient method for shopping, but it certainly beats going over your budget.
4. Get Creative:
- If you plan ahead, handmade gifts can be a wonderful alternative to the typical store-bought item.
- Knitting, beading or fly-tying are all inventive ways to create the perfect gift for someone special.
5. Stick to the Plan:
- This step may be the most important (second possibly to creating your budget).
- Keep your plan in your pocket – or purse – during all shopping trips and refer to your list often.
- If things should change consult your budget, consider removing a friend or family member from your list, and work it into your plan.
source: Wise Agent
photo: Christine Glade/iStockPhoto